TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Suggestions inside.. No easy way out..
People Seeking Info

Subject Suggestions inside.. No easy way out..

Posted by Drunkpunk082 on September 08, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 393 times.

In Reply To Alternatively... posted by Silens on September 08, 2012 at 05:41 PM

Message Cant do OEM locations because even with a wideband you still need factory O2's so the ECU can operate the car correctly. Most people take the pipes and have an extra bung welded in.

I do not have a wideband on my Z (yet) but I did just do down pipes and test pipes. I did it without the tranny pulled and it was actually pretty darn easy. I did take out the battery and thought I would need to remove the brake booster also (still easier then a tranny drop) but ended up only needing to remove the battery.

Here is a link to a quick video I made of the install:
Megan Racing Pipe Install

Now granted I did need a variety of different sized extensions, swivel's, and I even bought a swivel socket (almost like a universal joint but has a very shallow socket on the other side of the joint, Sears sells them). The socket was about $8 and priceless for the bolts I couldnt get a regular socket on. I also utilized a couple ratcheting wrenches for easy removal but it could be done without these.

Pull the pipes, and get it installed on them correctly at an exhaust shop/performance shop.

On a side note, if funds permit, I would STRONGLY recommend just buying new down pipes. You can easily pass emissions without pre-cats (as long as your regular cats are still installed and working) and it would be easier then modifying the regular pre-cats. The stock pre-cats are solid iron and NOT easy to modify or cut. They also have right angle bends in them which is very ineffecient for your exhaust system. You can get a pair of Megan Racing down pipes for under $150/$200. Then have the bungs installed onto those and just swap the pipes with your stockers. This way you dont have to worry with finding more bungs that fit your wideband and doing it all twice if you upgrade in the future.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.